Who We Are
The Well House is a Christ-centered ministry to women exiting incarceration, or who are at risk of being incarcerated, to freedom in Christ. This home is a place in which the residents receive training that helps them become contributors to the communities they will soon become members of. We also offer outreach programs for women at risk. These women receive spiritual guidance, practical vocational training, and other services tailored to their specific needs.
To provide a safe environment for women transitioning from incarceration to well-balanced community living through:
- building a God-based foundation
- facilitating education and career goals
- teaching healthy life skills
- reuniting mothers with their children
The Well House ministry began in 1996 at the Adams County jail with a team of twelve women going in pairs each Saturday morning. The women offered Bible study and prayer, and distributed Bibles to the inmates. Upon release from jail some women received further spiritual guidance, furniture for apartments, clothing, and help with utility and rent payments. The Well House leadership began to see the need for additional help for those women who were leaving incarceration, so that they could assimilate into their communities as productive contributors to society.
Today, the teams are still visiting the jail. Many of the charter women are still serving, as well as a number of new volunteers who have a heart for jail ministry. God has made the vision larger, as the needs are so urgent.
Part of this larger vision became a reality through the purchase of a home for these transitioning women - a home we call The Well House. This home is a fully functional residence with 24-hour staff who help the women living there accomplish the mission of the organization. This "home" provides the stable, Christian environment necessary in aiding these women in their journey to lead productive lives in their communities.
We believe in the spiritual unity of all believers in our Lord Jesus Christ
- We believe the Bible alone to be the Word of God, the ultimate and infallible authority for faith and practice.
- We believe that there is one God, eternally existent in three Persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. He is omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent.
- We believe in the deity of our Lord Jesus Christ, in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood, in His bodily resurrection, in His ascension to the right had of the Father, and in His personal return in power and glory.
- We believe that, for the salvation of lost and sinful mankind, regeneration by the Holy Spirit is absolutely necessary.
- We believe that salvation is by grace through faith alone.
- We believe that faith without works is dead.
- We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit, by whose indwelling the Christian is enable to live a godly life.
- We believe in the resurrection of both the saved and the lost; that they are saved to the resurrection of life, and they that are lost to the resurrection of damnation.